Since 1983, May has been declared National Physical Fitness and Sports Month in the US.
It’s time to play all May! So get outside, get sweaty, and get fit! Encourage your friends, your family, your kids, and your co-workers to get those feet moving and those hearts pumping. After all, we’re born to move!
Did you know that adults need at least 30 minutes of moderate to vigorous physical activity every day? And kids need a minimum of 60 minutes of daily exercise.
Now don’t panic – it doesn’t have to happen in just one session – it can be broken up throughout the day… and it doesn’t have to be a boring chore at the gym either. For me, fitness needs to be a good “F” word… FUN!
How do you like to be active? Here are some of my favorites – give ‘em a try!
- Dancing (even all by myself in my living room!)
- Riding bike
- Playing tennis
- Swinging on the swings
- Walking my dog
- Step aerobics
- Kick boxing
- Jump roping
- Power walking
- Beach volleyball
- Playing Wii
And there are also plenty of ways you can make choices that incorporate fitness activities into our daily routines. It may take a little extra effort and planning, but here are some ideas to consider:
- Park far away in the parking lot and take a healthy walk into the store
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator
- Do high energy housework (blast the music if you need a little extra motivation!)
- Get outside and do yard-work (don’t forget the sunscreen!)
- Hand wash your car
- Go for a walk on your lunch break
- Take an extra loop around the mall while you’re shopping
- Hula hoop or do sets of sit ups, leg lifts, and squats while you’re watching TV
Have fun this month while you make a commitment to staying fit and active!